The Best Multivitamin for your Health
Organic, whole food nutrients surpass all others
When you walk into the supplement department of your local food store to select a multivitamin, swimming in front of you is a sea of bottles. Your eyes glaze over, your head spins, you are immobilized! How to choose the best multivitamin for you?
Most multivitamins are comprised of artificially synthesized nutrients
Fortunately, the answer is really much simpler than it appears. Despite the copious number of choices and the mosaic of labels, there is actually little fundamental difference in 99% of all the products themselves. These isolated, chemically synthesized “nutrients” found in the vast majority of multivitamin supplements are all exactly the same (in fact, most come from the same few chemical manufacturers, which are located in China).
Three main categories of multivitamins
Within that vast array of labels, there are basically just three categories of multivitamins. Those made of:
- 100% synthesized chemical “isolates”
- Synthesized chemical “isolates” mixed with token amounts of whole foods
- 100% whole food nutrients (preferably organic)—your best choice, and very rare to find
The first category contains basic formulas in which the isolated, chemically synthesized compounds of individual “nutrients” are mixed together and then encapsulated or tableted. Look at the label on your vitamin bottle. Is there a 2-part chemical name listed in parentheses next to each vitamin and mineral? Some examples would be vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) or calcium (as calcium citrate). This means that each vitamin and mineral contained in the formula is present as a single, isolated, chemically manufactured nutrient.
The second category contains the same mix of synthesized nutrients mixed with very small and meaningless amounts of foods, such as berries, veggies and herbs. Products of this type are marketed with fancy sounding names such as “food-based multis,” “organic food blends,” “true organics,” “real food,” “food state,” etc. This allows the manufacturer to claim the product contains the foods that people are seeking, but the quantities are so small and potencies are so low that they are completely insignificant and ineffective.
A genuine whole food multivitamin exists
There is, however, a third and very rare category that genuinely contains 100% natural, whole food, organically derived nutrients in their formulas; our Organic Vitamins fall within this top group.
There are now multiple studies that back up the notion that it is the synergy of the whole that produces the most health benefit—not just the isolated “bits.” As published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2003, researchers from Cornell University discovered that less than 1% of the total antioxidant activity of apples comes from vitamin C—or ascorbic acid—the remaining 99% comes from the remaining matrix of phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and other phytonutrients found in the whole fruit.
Your body knows the difference
Why should this matter to you? Very simply, because it matters greatly to your body and your health! Your body knows the difference between synthetic isolates and real food. When you consume whole food nutrients, your body recognizes them as nourishment and knows exactly what to do with them – support and build your health. So the very best multivitamin for your health is one that contains genuine, food-based, organic vitamins and minerals¬—not hype! Make sure you read your bottles carefully and make the wise choice for your health and well-being.
Liu RH. Health benefits of fruit and vegetables are from additive and synergistic combinations of phytochemicals. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Sep;78(3 Suppl):517S-520S.